In Between what?

I've found some of the sweetest moments in life have been those in between

other moments known for their grandeur.















Monday, July 14, 2014

Confession and Our Day in Review


My plan (and you know how I love a plan) for this summer was to write a lot.  I wanted to chronicle our time with Baby A and our subsequent pregnancy and ENJOY leisurely writing.  So far, I’ve failed miserably.  I could (legitimately) blame it on not having as much time as I assumed I would have to write and on regularly forgetting/blocking out the fact that I am, in fact, pregnant again, but I don’t really think that’s it.  You see, I am nothing if not an honest writer and sharing about Baby A with 100% honesty is complicated.  It’s scary to admit how attached we are to her and how much we’d love to keep her forever.

Here’s the thing, and I feel a little dumb even admitting it: I didn’t think I would love her this much.  Honestly, I am not sure I’ve ever felt this kind of love before. Yes, I loved Levi fiercely.  I loved the tiny bundle of joy I imagined he would be.  I loved how much he looked like his daddy when he was born, despite the other horrific aspects of his appearance.  I loved all the hopes and dreams we had for our firstborn.  I still do.  But, I didn’t know him like I know Baby A.  I haven’t gotten good at anticipating his needs or identifying his cries.  He doesn’t reach for me for bedtime snuggles and when (like she has been today) he is sick.  I desperately wish I had been afforded those opportunities with him but I wasn’t.  But, I have been with her.  I almost feel guilty for enjoying her as much as I do when I don’t get to enjoy him in these ways.  So, we’re three months in and I cannot imagine not being her mom.  I cannot imagine losing her, too. To all those people who said from the beginning, “how on earth will you give her back?” I have to say now, “I have no idea.”

It’s not like Skip and I thought it would be easy.  We went into this saying that our motto has kind of become “we do hard stuff,” and it’s true.  I just didn’t think it’d be this hard for several reasons.  I thought the progression towards reunification with Baby A’s mother would be speedier than it has turned out to be.  I also did not have a clear picture of her goals for herself and her baby.  There have been several turns of events (turn of events?) that have put us in a different position than we thought we would be.  I had been a mother but I had never been a parent, so I had no idea what kind of bond could be created between a mom with empty arms and a precious baby in need of some to spoil her rotten.  I know now.

The initial “reunification” date was set for August 19th, Baby A’s first birthday.  Being just a little over a month away from that date, it’s obvious that that is not going to happen.  Her mom is not anymore prepared to take her now that she was when we got her and we are certainly not prepared to give her back.  The thought of having this new baby girl (more on that later) and a 14-month-old Baby A terrifies me and excites me.  Although I’ve never wanted “stair step” children, when I imagine having this new baby, I cannot imagine Baby A not being there, too.  I used to look at moms with kids that close in age with pity in the Target check out line, and now I start and end my day praying to be one of them!

We’ve (hopefully) made it through our first bout of illness with Baby A.  She was extra sleepy on Saturday, and by Sunday afternoon she had the early signs of a stomach bug (which at first I attributed to teething).  By this morning, she was full blown sick.  I began texting my mama friends and asking for advice, calling my mama, and running through possible causes with Skip.  I’d had plans for today for weeks with Ashley and Jenilee for a full day of visiting in Charlotte.  I could not decide if I felt comfortable leaving her with my mom, but I knew she could not go with me and be around Luke, Ashley’s son.  I mulled it over for hours in between some of the nastiest diaper changes I’ve ever been witness to, and decided I could go for an abbreviated visit.  She was just going to sleep (and poop) and mom could handle that.  I checked in with mom mid-visit and decided to go ahead and look into taking her to the doctor tomorrow.  The only “local” doctor she’s been to is in Myers Park (Charlotte!) where her mother took her for her 9 month check-up.  I called the pediatrician I plan to use here only to find out they don’t take Medicaid patients.  My second choice also could not accept her Medicaid, because it’s been issued in Mecklenburg County instead of Cabarrus (even though the office is in Davidson- which is in Mecklenburg county!).  I gave up and called the nurse line at the Myers Park office.  I was pleased with the nurse, satisfied with her recommendations and amused by her questions (no, she has not been out of the country in the last 30 days; no, she has not been in close proximity to reptiles in the last 14 days).   We made a pit stop for Pedialyte on our way home from Ashley’s and I picked up a still very sick baby and brought her home to nurse back to help armed with only cherry punch “cocktail.”

She did a lot more sleeping (and pooping) and kept down very little Pedialyte, but after her bath tonight she played (nekkid) in the nursery floor with Skip and me for about 45 minutes.  We’re praying that’s a sign of better days to come.  She tried so hard to feel good enough to play today, which just made her even more pitiful.  I guess we’ve experienced yet another parenting first, and it’s one that I hope doesn’t come around too often.  I have been grateful for a hands-on husband and nanny and especially for my mama friends who’ve been there-done this before and have infinite wisdom to bestow upon us.  I’ve talked more about poop today than I ever care to again, but it’s been so comforting to have someone to ask, “does red Pedialyte make a diaper look like it maybe/possibly/could be blood?” at 10PM.  There are perks to bringing up the rear on this child raising stuff and today, I definitely reaped the benefits. And even when she’s puny (and poopy) there’s no where else I’d rather her be.      

No comments:

Post a Comment