In Between what?

I've found some of the sweetest moments in life have been those in between

other moments known for their grandeur.















Monday, October 11, 2010

Car Trouble

     Last Thursday, Mom got a call from Nanny at work.  Nothing was "wrong," her car battery was just dead.  She wanted to make a quick trip to the library and to Subway and was frustrated to have her wings clipped.  I put a call into our personal mechanic, Skip, who stopped by after work Thursday night to give her a jump.  Today, when she went out for an afternoon doctor's appointment, the battery was dead again.  I would need to take her to an appointment rescheduled for later in the afternoon.

     Sunday morning, driving home from church, Skip's transmission went out.  This car has been a blessing and a frustration for him for as long as I can remember.  The car was a gift from his grandparents and took him from West Virginia to Georgia and finally home to me in North Carolina.  It's also spent it's fair share of time broken down on the side of the road and in greasy garages across 5 states.  We have decided, however, that the car I affectionately call the "Christmas Taurus" (green car, red door) should be retired.  We simply cannot afford to put $1500 in a car that probably wouldn't sell for that much in great condition.  But- we are not in a position to buy a car and take on car payments either.  So, this morning during our prayer time together, we asked the Lord what to do about the car situation.

     On the way to the doctor's office today, Nanny and I commiserated about our car woes.  It was then that she told me that she planned to hang up her keys.  Her walking is getting worse and she just doesn't feel comfortable behind the wheel anymore.  I was relieved (we've been concerned about her driving for a while now) and terribily sad at the same time.  I remember riding all over town with Nanny when I was a little girl.  When she had to brake, she would sling her right arm out to protect me.  Today, we made a tentative plan on how she will get to future appointments without driving herself.        

      Nanny told me she would probably sell her car for "whatever she could get for it."  I heard the answer to our prayer from this morning as clearly as if the Lord had used an audible voice and not just the voice of my sweet Nanny.  I excitedly offered to buy the car from her to replace Skip's.  A 1997 Grand Prix with 80,000 miles isn't worth a whole lot of money, but it's in good condition and what's more, we can afford it!  But, Nanny said "no."  She would not sell it to us.  Skip could use it as long as we need it, but we could not pay her for it.

     It is a bittersweet realization that our car troubles are solved because her driving days have ended.  Although, I should not be surprised that once again, Nanny is coming to the rescue.  She and my Papa bought my first car.  She sent me enough money in college that I did not have to work my freshman year.  Just Saturday, she gave me a wad of money for Skip and I to go out to dinner that night. 

     I hope that I will always be the one who can take her to the bank, the bread store, to Wal-mart and the doctor's office.  I pray I never get frustrated by an inconvenience in my day.  I hope I will remember everyday that it will take more years than either of us has left to repay her kindness; but with any luck, I'll be given enough years to at least make a dent.

No comments:

Post a Comment