In Between what?

I've found some of the sweetest moments in life have been those in between

other moments known for their grandeur.















Friday, December 20, 2013

Training

Sunday, we had a mission emphasis service at Charity.  Our Life Group (which is pretty much my favorite hour of the week) had a guest speaker, a camp pastor from Virginia.  He started by asking if any of us had ever heard of Patrick Springs, Virginia.  Since I am a little slow on the draw lately, I totally missed that he had on a shirt with the camp’s name across it, and enthusiastically announced that I had gone to said camp when I was a little kid.  He spent the next 30 minutes showing pictures and telling stories of a place that was so very near to my heart as a child. 

I went away to camp for a week for the first time when I was seven years old.  I was one of the youngest campers and I just loved it.  I came home with camp songs stuck in my head, pen pals from all over, and a deeper love and understanding of my Savior.  I went back the next six years, once even after we’d moved from Eden to Kannapolis.  I don’t even think I can grasp or convey how profoundly those hot, summer weeks at camp impacted my life.  It was at camp that I learned about daily quiet times, a practice that I didn’t really get the hang of until college and don’t really have mastered these days.  It was at camp that I learned the importance of Godly role models and the impact even teenagers can have on a lost world.  It was at camp that I hid God’s Word in my heart.   Many camp experiences created a foundation for my faith.  A foundation that (I say with pride in Christ and not in me) has not been shaken. 

When I hear of people who have lost a child (or any loved one for that matter) who do not know my God, my heart breaks for them.  Aside from the assurance that my baby is in heaven and we will be together there one day, I take refuge in the knowledge that the God who made the universe cares for me.  His mercies are new every morning, and he has a plan for my life. 

That little stroll down memory lane really got me thinking about my “training” and how all those years ago at camp, God was preparing me. He used year in AWANA, Campus Crusade for Christ and Sunday School in college, Tuesday night Bible Study at Lucy and Mere’s, and my life group at Charity to ready me for the greatest tragedy of my life.  I’m grateful for the scriptures that friends and family often share with us, but I am especially grateful for the ones that come to mind as I am driving to school feeling swallowed up in sadness. I cherish that still, small voice that speaks truths to me when I’ve grown so weary of grieving.  I hope I never take it for granted.  I hope that when we get to parent living children, we will help them commit God’s word to memory to ready them for the storms of life.    


Train up a child in the way he should go, 
and when he is old he will not depart from it. 
Proverbs 22:6

No comments:

Post a Comment